This information applies to pages in the CSUN template system.Windows-press ALT + an access key. Macintosh-press CTRL + an access key.
For the Master of Science Degree
1. Completion, with a B average, 30 units of approved graduate study. (Minimum 21 units of 500 and 600 level courses.)
a. Required core courses 14 units
PHYS 600 Classical Mechanics 4 units
PHYS 610 Electromagnetic Theory 4 units
PHYS 630 Statistical Physics 3 units
PHYS 650 Quantum Physics 3 units
At least three of these must be taken in residence at CSU Northridge. Students are encouraged to complete the graduate core courses early in their studies.
b. Electives (16 units)
These are to be selected, with approval, from 400, 500 and 600 level courses including Thesis (PHYS 698 3-6 units). At least 10 of these units must be in Physics.
Up to 6 units of approved courses may be in related fields: Astronomy, Chemistry, Engineering, Mathematics.
Thesis or Comprehensive Examination:
a. Students electing the thesis option must pass an oral examination in the field of the thesis.
b. Students not electing the thesis option must pass a written comprehensive examination on PHYS 600, PHYS 610, PHYS 630 and PHYS 650.
Requirements for Admission and Application Process
Admission to the University
1. Have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited university.
2. Have been in good standing at the last institute attended.
3. Have at least a 2.5 grade point average in the last 60 semester/90 quarter units attempted, independent of when the baccalaureate was granted.
The entire semester or quarter in which the 60-90 units began will be used in this calculation. Lower division courses or courses taken in extension (except in concurrent enrollment at CSUN in the upper division), after obtaining the bachelor's degree will be excluded from the calculation.
4. Submit all required applications, transcripts, test scores, and supporting information as required by Admissions and Records listed above, and the department (see below). The application materials and official application deadline can be found at www.csun.edu/anr. However, interested students are strongly encouraged to apply even though it is past the deadline. All applicants should also send an email to the graduate advisor, Dr. Miroslav Peric at miroslav.peric@.csun.edu, to inform her of your application.
Admission to the Department
1. The applicant must meet the general University admission requirements.
2. If the applicant has a bachelor's degree in physics, then a grade point average of at least 2.5 in all upper division physics lecture classes is required.
3. If the bachelor's degree is in a related field, then a grade point average of at least 2.5 in all upper division lecture classes in the major is required.
Graduate Status Descriptions
Conditionally Classified Status
Students who do not meet all requirements may, nevertheless, be accepted as CONDITIONALLY CLASSIFIED students, subject to meeting various University and departmental requirements for Classified status. It is important to achieve full Classified standing prior to completing more than 12 units of graduate work.
To meet the minimum for CLASSIFIED STATUS the student must fulfill the following:
1. At least a 3.0 grade point average in all work undertaken since admission to the program.
2. Score at or above the 50th percentile on one of the three portions of the aptitude test of the Graduate Record Examination^*.
3. Have a passing grade in the Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam.
* Normally the Graduate Record Examination should be taken prior to registration for graduate work at this institution. However it can be either taken during the first year. In certain cases this requirement can be waived.
Additional Information on the activities of the Department of Physics and Astronomy can be found in the website: http://www.csun.edu/physics.
An information brochure as well as an application can be requested at:
Professor Miroslav Peric
Department of Physics and Astronomy
California State University Northridge, CA 91330
(818) 677-2944 or (818) 677-2775