Why we have requirements
CSUN invests money in the Speech and Debate team to pay for travel costs and entry fees. I believe this investment deserves some return. I believe this return comes in three ways:
- Educational benefits – participants learn a great deal about public speaking, research, public policy making, persuasion, dramatic interpretation, and so many other areas. This knowledge makes you a better student, which pays back the university with better students on campus.
- Competitive success – participants who dedicate their time and efforts to bettering themselves in their area of competition will receive awards at tournaments. This competitive success makes the university look better in the nation and region and it makes our department and college look better to the greater university.
- Community outreach – participants who participate in volunteer and outreach efforts improve the view of the university in the community. In addition, this outreach helps to fulfill CSUN’s commitment to service.
Requirements for Travel and Competition
In order to travel with the team there are only four major requirements:
- Attend weekly team meetings. Attendance at these meetings is necessary for planning and teamwork. We will meet Thursdays from 4 pm to 7 pm in Manzanita 215 If you have to miss a meeting, you are responsible for contacting John or one of the Graduate Assistant coaches. If you miss more than two meetings without contacting us, you will be unable to travel for the remainder of the semester.
- Attend at least one weekly coaching session, more if necessary for tournament readiness. Every participant has to be “signed off” as ready before being entered in a tournament. Most entries are due one week before the tournament, so you have to be tournament ready one week prior to the tournament. These coaching sessions can be scheduled with any of the coaches, but should be with someone familiar with your event and your needs.
- Assist with CSUN’s college and high school tournaments. Tournaments are an important source of revenue as well as our opportunity to give back to the forensics community. You are expected to be available all days of the tournaments. Dates will be announced at the first squad meeting each year so that you can request time off from work and make any other necessary arrangements to ensure your availability.