This page provides information about activities and events the AAS department had and plans to have. Please also check our CSUN Asian American Studies Facebook Page for latest news and information that faculty, students, alumni and friends of AAS share with each other. We are conducting an alumni survey to improve our program. If you graduated as a CSUN AAS major, double major, or minor, please take the following Alumni survey! Thanks!
For upcoming events, please check out our CSUN AAS Calendar:
- We are please to announce that our AAS Newsletter Issue #5 is ready for viewing.
- Please take a look at our tentative Spring 2014 Schedule of Classes to plan your own schedule.
- AAS just got funding to start a tutorial program for our students taking AAS classes. We have hired 3 student tutors along with Prof. Turnmeyer to provide help on writing and learning strategies.
- We had a talk by Dr. Arshad I. Ali on "CITIZEN SUSPECT: Muslim Youth, State Surveillance, and Responsive Research Methodologies" on September 24, 2013, Tuesday, from 4 to 6 PM in the Whitsett Room (Sierra Hall 451)
- AAS Welcome Back BBQ and New Students Orientation, Tuesday, September 10, 2013, 11 am to 1:30 pm @ the Asian House. We had about 72 students showing up.
- AAS had a faculty retreat on Thursday, August 22nd, 11:30 am to 5 pm, and a departmental meeting on Friday, August 23rd, 10 am to 2:30 pm.
- AAS had a student-faculty retreat on Wednesday, August 21st, 9 am to 5 pm. Prof. Clem Lai, Prof. Tracy Buenavista and alumni helped made it a successful first!
- We have a new professor joining us with a joint appointment in Gender and Women's Studies. Dr. Khanum Shaikh will be teaching our AAS 201 courses this year. We look forward to her offering a South Asian Experience course next year!
- We are proud to announce that Dr. Tracy Buenavista has just received tenure! She now serves as Associate Professor with tenure in our Department!
- Congratulations to our graduates! Here is a link to some pictures from the AAS Reception and College of Humanities Commencement.
Please click the following for a list of past events.
Each list item below is a link to a gallery at the Picasa Google website. Each gallery has a list of photos to view. Please note that once you enter the Picasa website, it may no longer be ADA compliant.
- AAS 2012 Distinguished Lecturer and Student Awards Night
- AAS 2011 Graduation
- March 2nd, 2011 CSUN Protest
- AAS 2010 Graduation
- March 4th, 2010 CSUN Protest
- AAS Some Pictures from 2001 to 2009
- AAS older pictures of alumni
The Asian American Studies Activities Center is a department, student, campus and community center. It is a meeting place for AAS Clubs and Organizations, as well as a study-center for student groups. Class projects, presentations, and special speaker visits take place in the center, bringing together AAS students from a variety of courses. The center also functions as a meeting space for AAS faculty and faculty from other departments and colleges. The AASAC promotes academic and creative endeavors beyond the classroom environment.
Asian American Studies Activities Center Address
18356 Halsted Avenue
Northridge, CA 91330
a.k.a. "the Asian House" is between Reseda & Etiwanda and Superior & Plummer.